Twinkling holiday lights! One of my favorite things of the season. How about a twinkling holiday brain?! That would be a pretty awesome thing to add to the season. Instead of being tired and over-partied, you can actually light up your brain this season using the principle of neuroplasticity.
Here’s the quick and dirty on it.
What is neuroplasticity?
- It is the characteristic of our brains and nervous systems that allows them to change form and function throughout our lifespans.
- Neurons that are used frequently develop strong connections.
- Those that are no longer used lose connections.
- New pathways can be developed at any age.
- It means you CAN “teach an old dog a new trick.” No matter your age you can develop new patterns of thinking and moving.
- It means you can do some things that you haven’t done in a long time.
- It means that you can keep getting better at things you are already doing.
- It means you can change patterns of behavior, movement, and thinking so that you live a thriving life.
It takes practice, but you can change patterns and behaviors. Just like when you learn to ride a bike, you are shaky at first, fall over, and even require training wheels. But with play (sometimes called practice) you develop deep neuropathways for bike riding. Off you go!
What is neuroplasticity? It’s your opportunity to change for the better!
Issue yourself a challenge this season to literally “grow” your brain – to lay down new neuropathways that have never existed before, or to deepen ones that have gotten a bit shallow from underuse.
The most fun and effective way I have discovered to change your brain and therefore your body and thinking is Ageless Grace® - Timeless Fitness for the Body and Mind. It is a joyous program that takes only 10 minutes a day and is designed specifically to take advantage of your brain’s ability to transform itself and therefore, transform YOU!
Keep your brain sparkly and twinkling this holiday season and throughout the years. Take advantage of it’s life-giving property of neuroplasticity. It is never too late!